Episode 20 – Happy Birthday to Visions
1. Charles Bukowski – Moxie
2. The White Sttripes – Black Math (Elephant – 2003)
3. Yo La Tengo – Tom Courtney (Tom Courtney – 1995)
4. The Beatles – One After 909 (Let It Be -1969)
5. Led Zeppline – That’s The Way (Led Zepplin III – 1970)
6. Charles Bukowski – Poetry Is Dumb
7. The Doors – Crystal Ship (The Doors – 1967)
8. Wilco – Jesus Etc. (Yankee Foxtrot Hotel – 2001)
9. Pavement – Stereo (Brighten The Corners – 1997)
10. The Stone Roses – I Am The Resurrection (I Am The Resurrection – 1992)
11. Nirvana – Where Did You Sleep Last Night(MTV Unplugged – 1993)
Well here we are, celebrating the one-year anniversary of the Visions of the Unexcused 2.0, and what a fun year it’s been. To commemorate this special day I’ve put something a little different together.
I’ve turned Visions regular audio podcast into a video podcast. It’s basically what MTV would look like if I were in charge. It’s the equivelent of a VHS mix tape passed down among friends. You’ll see some all-time best shows, all-time last performances, and videos mixed with an Unexcused twist.
Visions has served as a therapy for me. It originated in college at 90.9 WONY, and I taped all those shows. The biggest fan of these tape’s was my Mother. She would wear those magnetic tapes thin, and then start having conversations with me about Yo La Tengo and The Soft Boys. Unreal, and beyond cool.
Her love of life never ceased to amaze me. Three months before I rebooted Visions, she lost her battle with Cancer. It was a dark time for me. Her passing hit hard, and I found a phenomenal amount of solace in music, specifically via the process of putting these Episodes together. Her mark is throughout every podcast created, through and true.
Now I raise my glass to you, my Mother, and the everlasting Magic of Music. I know she’s listening from somewhere, and I’m honored that you’ve been compelled to do the same.
Peace & Love Always,
Derek Paul Hixon